Gods and Candles

Teacup stars pour light

from glitter spoons

into my eyes searching

inky night for answered prayers.

 

I straddle the edge between

sapphire and sunrise

with outstretched arms,

hands begging for a god

to lift me out of the curse of questions.

 

Tethered to the constraints of why

I pace a thistle field of “what ifs”

chanting I’m sorry as if shadows

could bring absolution.

 

Searching is mortality’s friend and foe.

If there is light in a distant tomorrow,

I must trust and not chase it with a match.

 

©Susie Clevenger 2022


Grief doesn't have to make sense. I feel fine one moment and the next I'm begging the door to open to see Dawn walk through it. 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Spoiled Blue

Exhales of Pink and Yellow

Learning to Swim Where You Dreamed