A Saturday in July

"Grief is not a disorder, a disease or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve." Earl Grollman


Today is July 30, 2022. You've been gone a little over six months now Dawn. On this hot, sunny Saturday I wish you were here, and we were planning to go to a movie, perhaps Elvis, or watching our favorite house makeover show on television. Instead your dad and I were at yours and Daniel's grave replacing flowers in the vase on a tombstone so there would be fall colors, and worrying about how the drought was effecting your headstone. 

The past few weeks have been pretty rough. Your dad, Carrie, and I miss you so much. We are fine for a minute, then missing you hits so hard we crumble under its agony. You didn't die quietly, peacefully. It was a nightmare. I can't say it any more powerfully than Carrie did on a recent Instagram post.







A Treadmill

 

 I don’t feel strong,

The hellish walk

of absence, of grief

is a burning pavement

my tears won’t cool,

nor is tomorrow a promise

the weight of it won’t

feel as heavy.

 

There is no moving on,

no getting over…

I’m on the treadmill of

getting through that is

exhausting, cruel, and

isolating.

 

I am the darkness

in a room people avoid

because sorrow is the

most uncomfortable

seat at the table. 


©Susie Clevenger 2022



Comments

  1. So true, Susie, and I applaud your courage in walking through the unimaginable land of grief. The absence so great it is an actual presence. The ache of missing her. Carrie's post is so powerful. Horrible that Dawn and all of you had to go through such an agonizing death. I question how the medical team couldnt have spared her some of that pain? I am so sorry. Keep writing your truth. Anyone who has known grief - and who hasnt? - can understand. There is nothing worse than losing your child. Nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Spoiled Blue

Exhales of Pink and Yellow

Learning to Swim Where You Dreamed