Exhales of Pink and Yellow


April promises days without frost,
riots of blossoms erasing the gray
of petals sacrificed in winter.

My walks through the woods 
are Monet’s paintbrush dipped
into shades of wild violets,
emerald moss, and bluebird wing
writing a path to its nest.

From my window I see my front garden
exhale in shades of pink and yellow roses.
Their sigh of joy helps me step out
of my shell of grief to imagine my daughter
singing from her favorite chair on the porch.

My eyes spot the first butterfly resting
on a dandelion and I am encouraged
by their determination to find space
to grow in a horizon of concrete. 

Oh April, I’ve needed you this year. 
My ashy sweater of grief loosens another button.
Today feels less like I’m holding my breath 
while trying not to drown in undone. 

©Susie Clevenger 2024




Cynthia Dawn Clevenger 
2/21/1974 - 1/26/2022




Comments

  1. So poignant, the memory of your daughter singing on the porch. Gratitude that the blossoms have loosened a button on your sweater of grief, life can be such a mix of grief and gratitude, I am grappling with this too. Your writing is amazing, as always. Lovely to see Dawn's sweet face. Such a shining spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty poem! I love all the colors, that includes the ashy sweater too. This is full life, a blend of light and shade. And added bonus is Dawn's sweetly melodious and sublime voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written and so lovely , you have touched my heart. I pray that April blossoms will erase the gray. Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like anything I say will be inadequate. Spring, or anything that gives you some peace, some relief, is indeed a fine blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. April is indeed a month of hope. I enjoyed the view of April you shared in your poem. No matter what the 'winter' of one's life hits you with, when April comes there is a hopefulness, a feeling that one has survived. I empathize with "Oh, April, I have needed you this year." I understand that, Susie, and hope that the next months will be better ones for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "blossoms erasing the gray
    of petals sacrificed in winter." --- a poignant beginning, a hopeful spring. This line especially so strikingly done: "My ashy sweater of grief loosens another button."

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful and finely composed. I am glad for you that grief's sweater has loosened a bit--which is just one among the many superb metaphors in your poem. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I offer you my heartfelt sympathies. What a darling and what a wonderful memory you've shared of her here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just listened to her singing...so beautiful! <3

      Delete
  8. Am so glad that April's bounty is helping lessen your grief...one little button at least.... precious memories...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Spoiled Blue

Learning to Swim Where You Dreamed