Pop Quizzes



You no longer

test me with

pop quizzes

of independence

and sass.

 

There are no sweaters

dropped at the door,

no dishes piled in the sink.

 

Grief has dark humor.

One moment it allows me peace,

comfort you no longer suffer

the pain of illness.

The next moment I am overcome

with the agony I will never hear

you sing, laugh, or feel your hugs.

 

Death didn’t come gentle.

It raged and tortured your body,

paraded doctors through your

hospital room dragging needles,

tests, and incompetence.

 

I’ve heard more sermons on hell

than I can count, but not one

told me losing my child

would make me feel like

God was more theater than real.


 ©Susie Clevenger 2022

 

 

 


 

Comments

  1. Thank you for being brave, for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grief is never a topic people discuss. Especially in church.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In the Spoiled Blue

Exhales of Pink and Yellow

Learning to Swim Where You Dreamed